Long Term Solution to School Financing Crisis
Rebalance the state’s revenue system to create a reliable and sustainable funding mechanism for our public schools:
- Support Invest in Ed initiative to create a dedicated revenue stream by taxing the top 1% of earners in AZ.
- Vote No on Prop 305-no further voucher expansion
- Rebalance the tax base so the burden is equitably shared between Corporations and Individuals/Families
- Remove special interest tax breaks that undermine the General Fund.
- Classroom Sizes are Reasonable
- Schools are well maintained and have consistent school supplies.
CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM
Reduce our rate of incarceration by being smarter on crime.
- AZ has the 4thhighest rate of incarceration, spending 20K$ more per inmate than we do per student. The AZDOC budget is one of the largest expenses for our state.
Reform our sentencing laws to prioritize violent offenders and habitual offenders over non-violent offenders to save money and resources.
- This includes giving more sentencing discretion back to judges. We should also take a hard look at how we are funding the court system. Fees and fines v. state budget funding
Faster restoration of civil rights for those with non-violent convictions
- To ban the Box and make it easier for those who have completed all parts of their sentence to reenter the workforce and participate in our community
Require more transparency and accountability from Prosecutors and Police
- To build more trust in the communities that they are serving
RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERSHIP
Pass Responsible gun ownership legislation
- To require background checks for all gun sales
- Banning bump stocks
- Require gun ownership education classes
Expanding Medicare and Medicaid Eligibility
Codify protections for those with preexisting conditions
(The impending healthcare premium crisis must be addressed. Due to GOP sabotage of the Affordable Care Act working families and individuals will see a large increase in their premiums for next year. We should expand Medicare/Medicaid eligibility and open these programs to as many of our citizens as possible. Failing that the state needs to step in and provide some type of support to help keeps premiums down for working families.)
LOOP 202 ADVANTAGE and BETTER JOBS
Good schools, high standard of living and a strong infrastructure must be our priority to attract better and higher paying jobs in AZ and LD 27.
Loop 202 Advantage
- To maximize the economic opportunities provided by the 202 expansion: new businesses + new jobs = new homes
Increase in Minimum Wage
- The recent increase in AZ’s personal income is directly attributable to the increase in the state’s minimum wage. We must continue to support working families by putting more money into their pockets at the end of the day.